Visa for German courses in Austria

Our language school Aktiv Vienna offers visa for German courses in Austria for beginners and advanced students.

Visa for a German course in Austria

We not only offer a wide range of German language courses, but also can help you obtain a visa.
The visa allows you to a short stay in Vienna to learn the German language. you might need a Schengen visa.
This, of course, is only necessary if you do not come from the Schengen area, or in some other cases, which you can find out more about in the coming section.

Visa for a German course in Vienna

Cases where no visa is needed

Students from an EU or ERW country do not need a visa because they are part of the Schengen area. The following countries do not belong, but do not need a visa: Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland. In addition, for some countries visa-free entry is allowed, as long as the stay does not exceed three months. Japanese travelers enjoy a special advantage: they can stay in Austria for up to six months as tourists, business travelers or visitors.

The tourist visa C for the Schengen area

If you do not fall under any of the cases above, you will need a Schengen visa to come to Vienna. The tourist visa C allows you to a stay for up to 90 days within a period of 180 days.

Visa for German courses in Austria – starting dates and prices

Level: A1, A2, B1, B2, C1, C2
Course starting day: Every first Monday of any month
Course duration: 4 weeks for A1, A2, B1, C1 or C2  /  8 weeks for B2.1 + B2.2. You can book the course for any number of weeks you prefer.
Dates: Monday to Friday, 8:00-11:00/11:00-14:00/14:00-17:00/18:00-21:00
(*from 5 participants: 3×60 minutes per day, with 4 participants 2×60 minutes per day)
Course price:
1 week: 239 €
2 weeks: 369 €
3 weeks: 489 €
4 weeks: 549 € (instead of 599 €)
8 weeks: 1098 € (instead of 1198 €)

Intensive courses
January 2024February 2024March 2024
April 2024May 2024June 2024
July 2024August 2024September 2024
October 2024November 2024December 2024

German course and visa for students

The language school Aktiv Vienna can help students obtain a visa for the duration of the booked course. If you book a course with us, we are able to provide an official certificate of attendance which you can use to apply for a visa. This document confirms your registration for a German course and increases the likelihood that you will be granted a visa. To achieve this, the student must first register for the German course via our website and pay a fee of 549 €. After the registration is complete, we will send you the invoice by email so you can transfer the fee. This certificate will include information regarding how long the student will be attending courses with us. In order for us to issue the certificate, the student must have paid a fee of 499 € in advance. In the event a visa for the German course is rejected, Sprachschule Aktiv Wien reserves the right to keep full payment of 499 €. In this case, the participant is obliged to immediately send the rejection notice of the German consulate as well as the certificate for issuing a visa to Sprachschule Aktiv Wien. These documents must be submitted at least 7 working days before the start of the course by email. Students who have received a visa based on our visa certification cannot cancel the booked German course.

Application for a Visa in Austria

Applications for the first residence permit must be made from abroad. Please be informed that all applications will be assessed by the Austrian Embassy.
The following documents are necessary:

A completed and signed application form
A passport photo according to the OCAP criteria (must be in color and in the size of 35 by 45 millimeters)
Passport not older than ten years and valid for three months visa duration. In addition, it is important that it contains at least two free pages
Evidence of a health, travel and accident insurance (30,000 EUR minimum sum)
A course confirmation and invitation from the language school Aktiv
Proof of reservation or booking of accommodation
Proof of sufficient financial resources to cover the cost of the stay (for example, with a current account statement)
Visa fee of 60 euros

Application for tourist visa C

If you are not an EU/EEA or Swiss citizen, you need an entry or residence permit to enter and stay in Austria. Tourist Visa C entitles you to a stay of up to 90 days within a period of 180 days.

Application for visa D

For a language course lasting between 3 and 6 months, you will need a visa D. The documents to be submitted correspond to those of visa category C. However, the application cost is 100 euros. In case you require further information, please contact the Austrian Embassy in your home country. They know best about the current regulations and prices. You can search for the diplomatic missions on the Internet or at the website of the Austrian Foreign Ministry:

When applying for a visa for Austria take into consideration:

You must always apply for the visa from your home country.
An extension of the visa in Austria is not possible.
If you do not have a visa, you can not apply for a residency permit in Austria. American citizens are exempted from this.
The visa application procedure lasts at least six to eight weeks.
In the case of a residency permit, it is recommended to submit the application two or three months before the planned date of departure.

In these cases you do not need a visa for Austria

Students from an EU or EEA country do not need a visa, as these countries belong to the Schengen area. The following countries are not part of Schengen area, but still do not need a visa: Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.
In addition, there are a number of country citizens  who have a visa-free entry. The prerequisite is that the courses and the stay do not exceed three months.
Japanese travelers enjoy a special advantage: they can stay in Austria for up to six months as tourists, business travelers or visitors.


Mit dem Laden des Videos akzeptieren Sie die Datenschutzerklärung von YouTube.
Mehr erfahren

Video laden